Thursday, February 26, 2009

Engraved Palms

The other way to look at this verse from Isaiah is that we engrave God's name in our hands. If we could do such a thing, how difficult would it be to ever forget God. Whenever we look down at our palms, God's name would be right there. What a moral guide that would be.

For several years, during Holy Week, I have gone to a service where I had my hands anointed. The act of having the sign of the cross marked with holy oil across my palms was powerful for me. It was a symbolic act, for sure, but the symbolism is so important. For me as a priest, my hands are used for so many important things: I bless people with them, I consecrate the bread and wine with them, I baptize with them, I pray with them, and more. I need to have them purified so I can feel empowered and authorized. I also have them anointed because of the awesome power they can wield. And I pray that I always use it rightly.

God's name engraved in our hands would be a constant reminder not only to be good, but also that we can at all times do good.

1 comment: