Friday, February 27, 2009

Finding the Spiritual Outer Edge

Where are the edges in our lives? Where are the edges of our existence? Many of us know what our physical edges are: the distance we can run flat out before we have to stop; the farthest we can swim without feeling the need to touch bottom; the highest we can jump; or the longest we can go without sleep. There are many edges to our physical existence, but what about our spiritual edges.

Spiritual edges are more nebulous. I know I can stay silent for several days on a spiritual retreat, but is that my limit for listening for God's voice and the Holy Spirit's guidance? I know I can fast for more than a day, but is that really how far I can go without food in my desire to humble myself before God? I know that I can pray continuously for an hour or more, but I wonder could I pray continually for a whole night beseeching God's mercy and giving thanks? I wonder about these things, because unlike my physical edges, which I confront often, especially as I get older, I don't think I have found the edges of my spiritual life.

Lent is surely a way to begin to find spiritual edges, but I have already hit the bar of spiritual discipline over a 40 day period. I want more from my spiritual life, because I sense that the edge of my spiritual existence, the depth of my soul, is like a deep, clear pool. I can gaze into the pool and see the round stones filling the bottom, but I can't judge its depth. Its far deeper than I realize.

1 comment: